Ways Medicare Can Protect You From the Delta Variant

Source: Unsplash
doctor hand in gloves holding coronavirus vaccine, close u.

Despite vaccine rollouts slowing COVID-19 transmissions, the threat of the Delta variant still looms large. A recent study we’ve listed on an article at Wugazi revealed that patients infected with the Delta variant are twice as likely to face hospitalization compared to patients infected with the non-mutated virus. Delta variant patients also have a higher risk of developing complications. Thus, older adults, who are more at risk of serious health complications, need to make extra efforts to avoid the virus.

Fortunately, many procedures covered by the senior-focused health insurance program Medicare can protect older adults from the Delta variant. This article will list the different ways Medicare can protect older adults from it.


Getting vaccinated remains the best way to protect yourself from the COVID-19 virus, including the Delta variant. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, unvaccinated individuals are ten times more likely to be admitted to the hospital in comparison to vaccinated individuals. Additionally, unvaccinated people are eleven times more likely to die of COVID-19 and related complications.

If you haven’t already been vaccinated, Medicare can pay for any FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine. Additionally, if you chose the Pfizer vaccine, Medicare can also cover a third Pfizer booster shot six months after you’ve completed your second Pfizer dose. Getting your COVID-19 vaccine is 100% free under Medicare.

If you have a disability or face external factors that prevent you from accessing vaccination sites, Medicare can pay a healthcare professional to administer your COVID-19 vaccine in your home too, at no cost.

Lab Tests

Testing is essential in preventing the spread of the Delta variant. Once tested, individuals can take appropriate measures to prevent any further transmission. Should they get tested during an early stage of infection, they’ll also be able to seek treatment before things get too severe

Medicare Part B, which covers medical expenses, also covers COVID-19 tests. This includes viral tests, which determine whether you are currently infected, and antibody tests, which determine if you had been infected in the past. Like vaccinations, COVID-19 tests under Medicare will come at no cost to you. Medicare can also get a healthcare professional to perform your COVID-19 test at your home.


If you catch the virus and develop symptoms, Medicare’s drug coverage program, called Medicare Part D, can cover any outpatient medications. Moreover, Medicare Houston shows that Medicare Advantage plans, which are bundle plans offered by private insurers, can include coverage for prescription drugs, including medications for COVID-19. On the other hand, more serious treatments, such as monoclonal antibody treatment, can be covered by Medicare Part B.


You don’t need to leave your home to talk to a medical professional — you can do so via online telehealth platforms like MDLIVE. Medical News Today reveals that you can also leverage telehealth consultation services to assess whether any symptoms you’re experiencing warrant a COVID-19 test. Additionally, if you have any other health conditions, telehealth services can connect you with healthcare professionals without putting you at the risk of contracting the virus.

Medicare Part B covers telehealth services as well. However, unlike most COVID-19 procedures, only 80% of the cost of telehealth services will be covered by Medicare. Patients are thus required to pay the remaining 20% themselves.

Catching the Delta variant can have devastating effects on both your health and your finances. Fortunately, Medicare can help older adults mitigate the costs associated with COVID-19 prevention and treatment.

Adrian M. Ferguson
Adrian worked as a journalist for 7 years at a local newspaper. Switching to online media, now he covers the latest science news for Wugazi.